for me, one of the joys of dressing as i do lies in a subversion of the colonial process. for instance today i feel like a female student in cambridge in the 40s (considering these pictures were taken at cambridge!) now, being a woman of colour from the third world, this would not quite have been possible back in the day. but as a postcolonialist, the idea of dressing like i might have been so is an extremely powerful one for me. i think of it as another instance of the empire writing/striking back, this time in modes of sartorial appropriation. subverting notions of englishness - such a joy!
apparently i have jumped onto the midi skirt bandwagon! there’s something about the length that strikes me as so retro that i had to style the rest of the outfit to look true to the period.
this is my lovely new satchel from the cambridge satchel company. i was going the get the brown one, but there is something about red leather that i simply cannot resist. and i’m glad! the red is gorgeous, as is the styling and the craftsmanship. again, this is one of the most beautiful things in my closet.
when all at once i saw a crowd/a host, of golden daffodils.
there was something so english about shooting this post, with the daffodils on a spring day that the theme of the empire really struck me.
And then there was a coconut hanging on a ribbon for birds - something i’d only ever read about as a child, in books written for little english boys and girls that all children of my generation in india were given as staple reading. i think the birds in question were supposed to be tits. (haha. er.)
the loafers are from office. i love how the styling is so incredibly retro! i got these on sale (baaaargain!) and when i first got them they made my feet seize up because they were still too tiny at a 41. thankfully my new shoe stretchers helped!
while i was sitting on the bench, a flock of seagulls landed on front of me!
dress (worn as a top) -asos
satchel -the cambridge satchel company
hat -vintage from fabgabs on etsy
- jodwai likes this
- rosary-garden reblogged this from curiousfancy
- deedoubleyou likes this
- rosahlia reblogged this from curiousfancy
- badcinema reblogged this from curiousfancy
- dansemacawbre likes this
- bugbeard reblogged this from curiousfancy
- bugbeard likes this
- arriantabateman reblogged this from curiousfancy
- kyarygiri reblogged this from curiousfancy
- weirdinternetgirl likes this
- janinneverland reblogged this from curiousfancy
- elenaflutterby likes this
- wholesomeobsessive reblogged this from mymbley
- clutchyourpearls likes this
- mymbley reblogged this from curiousfancy
- raynpho reblogged this from curiousfancy
- violetthursdays likes this
- sheloveslibraries likes this
- magalic likes this
- exphazox likes this
- jom-lah-bertumbler reblogged this from curiousfancy
- prettymilitant reblogged this from lovingthebeautifulyou
- prettymilitant likes this
- gegegegege reblogged this from curiousfancy
- typef reblogged this from curiousfancy
- face--the--strange reblogged this from curiousfancy
- winged reblogged this from curiousfancy and added:
- cats-and-s1ck likes this
- nue-sur-la-lune likes this
- the-bicyclette likes this
- penseesalamode likes this
- moeff likes this
- pretzuls likes this
- nbx reblogged this from curiousfancy and added:
- nbx likes this
- lovingthebeautifulyou reblogged this from curiousfancy
- rawrmanifesto likes this
- milkyblur likes this
- topomir likes this
- pink-lip likes this
- zesticola likes this
- curiousfancy posted this